Thursday, February 25, 2010

Preparing for a positive future

During my last visit at the Lancaster County Youth Intervention Center (YIC), I started the residents off with an ice breaker about what they want to be when they grow up! Many inspiring answers were in the mix, from an RN to a scientist!

We talked a little about getting to that point... making plans... setting goals. Then, residents wrote letters to themselves for one year now. They wrote about where they hope to be at that point, how they plan to get there, and the struggles they are facing in their current situations.

Next, the residents took an assessment of their personalities to find out what jobs might be interesting to them. Some of the answers (of course) were a wee bit outlandish, but others were right on target with their current hopes and dreams! Some results gave inspiring options and (I believe) may have opened some doors of thought!

We looked at resumes and talked about what makes them successful. The residents performed a few silly "what not to do" interviewing skits, and then one very fine young gentleman showed the group "how it's done."

We ate a snack together and I let the residents pummel me with questions about their local public libraries in Lancaster County. It was a very successful evening, and I hope they enjoyed the experience as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment